Camfed uses a financial system that maintains high-levels of accountability and transparency.
In the field, the system starts with the selection process: school-based committees and community leaders identify girls in the greatest need. Once approved for support, each girl’s entitlement is then tracked through our data monitoring system. Volunteers - including CAMA members and local government officials - help us in this detailed monitoring process, using mobile phones to record data and send it back to our databases for efficient and cost-effective tracking.
In-country Camfed staff make regular field visits to each school and meet with volunteer groups and other parties to ensure that funds are used for the purposes they were provided for. Our staff also ensures that records are in place for each transaction, are maintained in a manner consistent with our best practices, and provide a clear trail for auditing.
The audit process, which happens annually in each country, traces funds from the time of donation to the time it reaches individual girls. Evidence is gathered in two ways:
Inspecting finance records from schools and volunteer groups involved in programme administration.
Interviewing sponsored girls to confirm they received their full entitlements.
To strengthen the effectiveness of field audits and legitimise enforcement and compliance, we work in partnership with government audit departments in each country. Both parties share audit reports to find and resolve discrepancies and to reward good record-keeping.
This framework is supported by a continuous training programme. Financial training is focused on developing and providing the following key basics of financial management:
- Strong financial planning skills
- Sound maintenance of financial records
- Robust internal controls
- Regular internal audit and monitoring
The training programmes are run for local committees administering the Camfed programme, teacher mentors, parent support groups and Camfed graduates. The training gives members the skills to manage resources, embed the moral and legal responsibilities that are required to manage financial resources, and emphasises the need to align principle with practice to maintain and sustain the trust and confidence of the rest of the community.
UK anti-bribery legislation
Camfed is implementing anti-bribery policies and procedures using the same collaborative principles as our management and governance model. In all offices, Camfed delivers workshops that introduce the definitions and legal implications of bribery; an anti-bribery champion is appointed from each office; and country-specific example scenarios and proven methods of resisting bribery are appended to the policy.
Camfed applies more than 90 percent of its expenditure to charitable spending.
Camfed International Annual Report and Financial Statements
Camfed USA Financial Statements and Form 990
- Camfed International Annual Report and Financial Statements - 2012
- Camfed International Annual Report and Financial Statements - 2011
- Camfed International Annual Report and Financial Statements - 2010
- Camfed International Annual Report and Financial Statements - 2009
- Camfed International Annual Report and Financial Statements - 2008
- Camfed USA Financial Statements and Form 990 - 2012
- Camfed USA Financial Statements and Form 990 - 2011
- Camfed USA Financial Statements and Form 990 - 2010
- Camfed USA Financial Statements and Form 990 - 2009
- Camfed USA Financial Statements and Form 990 - 2008